Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Asian Inspired Cake

This cake was made for two special young ladies. They and their family were such a source of support for me while I was in graduate school. My son was a baby and it was really hard for me to focus on studies at times. They opened up their hearts and their home and took very good care of Jimmy. They became a second family to me and I am forever grateful.

Leah went to school for graphic arts and is very creative. She designed their birthday cake. She sent her vision and I used that as my guide. The "wooden board" is actually fondant made to look like wood. I also made the fortune cookies, sushi and chopsticks out of fondant mixed with tylose powder. The cake is red velvet with vanilla frosting. I hand hand painted it using vodka mixed with food coloring gel.







No comments:

Post a Comment