Thursday, November 18, 2010

Mickey Mouse Cake

Several weeks ago, a friend from my childhood came to me and asked for a baby shower cake for his daughter. First off, let me just say, I think I felt a few gray hairs sprout from my scalp when he asked. Can't believe how fast time flies. It seems like just yesterday, I forced him to watch the Sound of Music with me and act out my favorite scenes. Now his daughter was having a baby.

I started my caking adventures in May of 2010 and haven't stopped since. I was very honored and touched that he asked me to make the cake. This was my first 3 tier buttercream cake. I used the techniques taught by Sharon Zambito of Sharon's Sugar Shack. I hope to purchase her whole DVD series.

For the cake topper, I cut out a letter on my scroll saw. By day, I am a children's illustration artist. Many of the items I paint are sold on upscale children's retail sites. My biggest seller by far are wall letters. I thought it would be great to combine the two things I love to do. I hand painted the letter and my friend's daughter can use the letter to hang above the crib or door...whatever she prefers to do. The top two tiers were a butter cake and the bottom tier was a chocolate cake with chocolate filling. From what he tells me, everyone loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment