Thursday, November 18, 2010

Jimmy's Birthday Cakes 2010

My birthday is in February during the school year (I love Coach bags in case you wanted to know. *Smile*). When I was growing up, I never had a birthday party at school. It's not that my parents didn't do anything special for me, but it was always done at the church where my father was the pastor. We had a lot of fun, but I just wanted to have it at school like the other kids did. I vowed that I would have the biggest party allowed at school for my kid when I had one.

Welp...my son's birthday is in July. No school party for him. I could do an early one, but it's not the same. This is according to Jimmy himself. So, I try to make his birthday as special as I can. This year, he had two celebrations. One at home in Philadelphia and the other in Baltimore with Sean's family.

He turned 9 this year and he is a big fan of the Dragon Ball series. I hand painted his cake based on a design from a fellow cake onCakecentral.com. First, I drew the picture of Goku (I think that's his name) on a piece of wax paper. Then I placed that on top of a piece of rolled out fondant and cut it out with an Exacto knife. I then hand painted the image using food coloring gels mixed with vodka (the vodka helps with drying). I let that piece dry a bit. I think painted the the 8" round cake with orange and yellow. After that dried, I then placed the cut out image on the cake along with star cut outs. He asked for a vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream and that's what he got. He absolutely LOVED it!





His second cake was for his "pool party" hosted by my friend Tracey. This was a Kit Kat cake with M&Ms. For this cake he asked for chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. It was a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment